Tuesday, August 24, 2010


I walked out into my front yard this morning with my mom and we stumbled upon this - a little wild strawberry! How cute. There was another bigger one close to this one (about the size of half a penny) but I ate that one, excited that these were growing on our own turf...but I was extremely disappointed. It was bitter and very odd tasting, not at all like a strawberry should taste. Now, before I get a lecture about how wild strawberries are massively different than the kind you buy in a store (especially the fact that wild ones are mutated from all the gross chemicals sprayed on our produce, but that's a whole different story) - the taste really shouldn't be THAT different. I have this memory of when I was younger: spending a day at my grandparents' house out in the almost-country (as "country" as you can get in the Akron area) and wandering around their massive yard when I found a pretty large patch of wild strawberries on the edge of the woods bordering their house, perfectly ripe. I crouched in that little patch for 15 or 20 minutes, eating the little berries as fast as I could pick them. Those were some of the best berries I've ever had, even though they were tiny. So you can imagine my disappointment when my little berry-discovery in the front yard did not mirror my childhood experience. :(

I've got another picture for you from today, simply because I could not resist sharing it:


I went to the thrift store today to look for a cool old jewelry box for cheap (no luck) and was about to leave when I noticed this sign in the window. See if you can spot what made me laugh/roll my eyes/cringe (clicking on the photo makes it bigger). It's pretty sad...not to mention the fact that there were 5 or six other advertising signs with the same mistake on them.
And I know I'm a total hypocrite for saying this about "silly bands" (since I'm currently wearing 3 that were all given to me: a yellow dinosaur, a yellow dragonfly and a pink buckeye leaf and nut to represent OSU) but I really don't understand the craze. I wouldn't want to pay 2, 3, sometimes 5 dollars for a pack of little rubber bands that will break after a week and most of the time cut off circulation to your wrist. Oh, the things that go largely unnoticed by the public, like the stupidity of the silly band phenomenon and crazy mistakes in things like the above...

No comments: