Saturday, October 16, 2010

Here we go again! :) Sorry for the even longer than normal gap in updates...midterms were last week so I've been crazy-busy. Not to worry, though, still taking pictures each day!

10/1/2010


Admittedly, I ran out of inspiration that Friday evening, so I took a picture of my backpack. I really treasure all the patches and pins I have on here, so I guess this picture does mean something - it's more than just a boring old backpack. The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Led Zeppelin patches were sewn on by my Mom (Thanks, Mom!) before I left for school because she knows how much I hate sewing and how bad I am at it. I got both the patches while I was traveling in Spain this summer, so that's kind of cool...plus they're two of my favorite bands. The "Stop the Hate" and "Heard" buttons are both to show my support for Gay Pride and Gay Rights...I got the Stop the Hate one a couple years ago in high school and the Heard one recently as OSU. I also have a dragonfly pin I love, an OSU pin, a map of an area of France on a pin my friend Julie made and a little red dog/bear pin I found on the ground. Always looking for more pins to add to my collection! :)

10/2/2010

My Mom and Aunt Louie came down to visit me this day. We went to a really cool vintage thrift shop and look what I found - goldfish disco shoes! Sooo cool. Apparently they also used to make some that had real fish in them...that's just scary. But still, I thought these were pretty groovy. Thanks to Aunt Louie for sending this pic I took with her camera to me!

10/3/2010


Okay...so I admit that technically I cheated with this picture. First, though, I'll explain why I took it. I was out Saturday the 2nd with one of my good friends down here at OSU, Ian, and some of our friends and we saw a rose vendor while walking down High Street during Gallery Hop near downtown Columbus. Without thinking, I went, "Ooh! I want a rose!" and before I could do anything, Ian went up to the vendor and bought me one. :) He said, "The lady asks for a rose, the lady gets a rose." I can't tell you how sweet that was! He got me pink for friendship and happiness. It kept in this makeshift vase in my room for over a week. :)
Now, the reason I cheated - I had the idea to take this picture of the rose on Sunday the 3rd but completely forgot. :( When I woke up Monday morning, I remembed again and snapped the picture. So, for the first time so far, I accidentally skipped a day for a picture but I'm counting it for Sunday since the idea for the picture was on Sunday. :)

10/4/2010


This picture is of Colin Beavan, author of OSU's summer reading for the freshman class, No Impact Man. It was a great book about environmentalism, making oneself happy, and living life to the fullest. I'd recommend it to anyone. As part of the FYE (First Year Experience) Book Community for this year, OSU invited Beavan to come and speak at the Wexner Center for the Arts! He wasn't the greatest speaker, but I still enjoyed his lecture and later got to meet him at the book signing after the event. I was pretty excited!

10/5/2010


Walking back to my room after my first class that morning, I took a little detour past the pretty Mirror Lake on campus, only to find a beautiful red tree behind the fountain in the lake, so I paused to snap a picture. Get used to these tree shots because there is a lot of them coming up!


Also taken Tuesday on my way to my last class, a shot of the sun beginning to set over the Oval (the giant courtyard) on campus. Really pretty!

10/6/2010


I see Goodyear Blimps all the time at home in Akron, but I thought it was kind of funny to see one down here in Columbus, although I'm sure it's just as common. The sky was also a gorgeous blue that day! I love how clear the sky gets in the fall.

10/7/2010


Kind of an odd picture, but again, I liked the sky in this picture. I was waiting for the bus to go to one of my classes and looked up and thought the green and brownish tree above me looked cool against the sky.

10/8/2010


Going home! My Dad came to pick me up Friday after my last class and after he got out of work and I liked the way the sun shone on the tops of the trees as it was setting, illuminating only part of them in fall color.

10/9/2010


This was taken while hiking with my Mom at O'Neill Woods (my seventh of eight hikes for the hiking spree!). The color is so much more accelerated at home, even though it's only 2 hours farther north. Weird. I liked how you can find just about all the colors of the rainbow in these two trees and the sky!


This tree is always gorgeous - I went to Zack's house Saturday night and was so happy I hit the peak of its color just right. It's just at the end of his street near his front yard. So pretty!

10/10/2010


I took this picture with my Dad's camera...we went apple picking (one of my favorite fall activities) before I left on Sunday and I thought that the view of this aisle in the orchard was just so pretty.



Heading back to Columbus with my Dad, the sunset was so pretty again. See what I  mean about my obsession with sky and fall color pictures?? :)

10/11/2010


Although a lot of the upper leaves are gone on this tree, I was struck with how red it was because most of the other trees down here are still green. This was up on West Campus of OSU, where the Agriculture and Environmental Science classes and buildings are located.

10/12/2010


I woke up to a kind of gloomy, depressing day, but the trees right outside of my seventh-floor window are so yellow that they lit up the scenery anyway.


The day later brightened up and I spent some free time wandering around the gardens on West Campus. (I have a million up-close pictures of flowers now!) There were so many bumblebees and I couldn't resist snapping this picture - they're so fuzzy!

10/13/2010


I had to get up at 6:30 in the morning Wednesday morning to take my Calculus midterm at 7:30 and this is what I saw from my window. I haven't woken up that early since move-in day to be able to leave Akron around 8 am, so it was kind of cool to see a sunrise again for the first time in about a month. I'm sure it got a lot more beautiful, but then I had to walk to the exam and by the time I got out of taking it, the sun was fully shining.

10/14/2010


OSU gets certain speakers, performers and bands to come to the Ohio Union and other areas on campus for free shows (like the Weezer show on my last post). I was able to get two free tickets to a performance in the Grand Ballroom of the Union by a band called Iron and Wine. It is a one-man band and he performs a lot of slow, folk-y type music that I really enjoy. Zack came down to come to the concert with me and we had a great time! (It also didn't hurt that it was free)

10/15/2010


Zack left yesterday evening to go to some meetings for a Marketing Education organization called DECA in Dublin (very close to Columbus, which is why he was able to come down a day early Thursday night for the concert). He is Vice President of the Northeastern region of DECA, so these meetings are kind of a big deal. Before he left, though, we stopped a local pizza place very close to my dorm called Formaggio's to get their famous Buckeye Pizza - pizza dough covered in peanut butter and drizzled in chocolate. It was sooo good but so unbelievably filling! Yum.

Will post today's picture later!

No comments: